Thursday, October 2, 2008

Head First

I have a confession; I jump into nearly everything head first, and I'm not talking about swimming pools.

I've held a belief that has worked well for me, "If something is worth doing at all, it's worth doing well."

This belief was strengthened after reading Jim Collins "Good to Great" at the age of 17. A book that showed me how to do take yourself and your business to the next level.

For this reason, I go all out when doing anything. If I'm doing a seminar, I'm inviting the media, putting out press releases, and calling on local authorities to attend. That seminar is nothing but the best, at the best location.

It took me a while to develop this "going in head first" attitude. It all started after I realized that something is better than nothing at all.

Most people do nothing. They come up with great ideas, but are afraid to implement them. They develop amazing leadership skills, but won't lead. Most people won't take the first step.

Take the first step.

The first step is often the hardest, but it's required to build momentum in any direction. Go in with the attitude that this first step weather a success or a lesson learned, is still a step in the right direction, and still better than the "nothing" that everyone else is doing.

Once you've taken the first step, you'll quickly realize that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. You'll have gone in head first.

No comments: