Sunday, August 24, 2008

Creating lasting Impact

This evening while shopping for groceries for the rest of the week, I found myself in a unique situation.

The bagger at the store was incredibly nice and insisted he take out my groceries. This was not the normal "Can I help you out with this, sir?" question, but rather, "Could you show me where your car is sir? I'll help you load these up."

I was caught off guard. Here was this young man, just a few years younger than myself, that clearly understood how customer service is supposed to work.

I obviously agreed to let him push the cart to my car, but decided to strike up conversation on the way.

He started to tell me how he worked this job in hopes of going to college in the fall. How his parents wouldn't support him, but how he refused to live the "paycheck to paycheck" that so many people did.

I began to ask the normal questions;
Q) What are you planning on doing in school? A) He didn't know.
Q) Why do you want to go to school? A)To not work this hourly job for the rest of his life.

After a few of these questions, I realized that he clearly didn't understand the opportunities he had available to him. So I began a conversation that I hope, would leave lasting impact.

I began to ask him what he WANTED to do with his life, rather than what he felt like he needed to do in order to live. I began to ask him how could profit from this, how could he help other people do the same, and how could he not only be successful doing this, but become a person of significance at the same time.

He was overwhelmed.

In the few minutes I spoke with him, his demeanor completely changed. I mentioned a few books I suggest he read that would continue to force him think outside the box. It was clear to me that this young man had never truly seen the possibilities he has available to him.

I believe that each of us, at least once a day, has the potential to Impact someone's life. The potential to open someone's eyes, and to enable them to have to have the "Aha!" moment of the day.

Be a mentor, take a few minutes to talk to that individual that needs to hear your message, and help someone else understand that each and every day, they too, have the opportunity to make a lasting impact on someone else..

No comments: