Friday, September 5, 2008

Breath. Relax. Focus.

I often reflect on a sticker that I used to read weekly. It read "Breath. Relax. Focus."

It wasn't really a sticker, but rather a handwritten reminder on a piece of duct tape. This note was crucial to me.

I put this sticker on the gauges of my road race motorcycle, and later on, on my supermoto race bike. It served as a constant reminder that relaxation and focus can separate life from death and winners from losers.

Racing motorcycles was absolutely the most fun I've ever had in my life. It was the largest adrenaline rush one could get, in addition to challenging, dangerous, and rewarding all in one.

Road Racing was a sport that requires you to pass other riders, leaned over with your knee dragging the ground, within inches of them, at speeds well in excess of 100 mph. As you can imagine, things can get a bit tense.

It really is a funny sport in a way. It's not that the most skilled rider wins, or even that the most brave rider wins. It's a sport in which the one that can think the most clearly and stay more focused while pushing their motorcycle to the limits wins.

Road Racing is a lot like... life. It's not that the most skilled conquer success, but rather the one that can outsmart the rest, take on more risk, and continue to stay focused on their goals, comes out on top.

Remember to take time to sit down, clear your mind and breath, relax, and regain your mental focus.

No comments: